Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat > Debate

Notices

Search this Thread
Old November 24, 2014, 03:35:26 PM
Keldeo

Post Addiction

Something that I just put some thought to since I've been groggy all day and just had a couple cups of soda because I felt that I needed the pick me up and of course now feeling more awake.

I have soda almost daily, it's a drink I really enjoy and I tend to drink and sip on it throughout the day. Depending on the day I might feel it when I don't have any till late in the day and other times I can go a few days without problem. I have detoxed from caffeine 4-5 months ago and it's not something you can just cut out. You end up with flu like symptoms, doubt anyone likes them when you do get them. Ended up getting sick so I didn't have soda for three days and felt worse and worse, yes I looked it up and that's how I know. Was I addicted or was I not?

This brings me to the concept of addiction, in part the need or want for a substance so that one may function normally.

Though I believe that the strict definition is anything that affects your ability to live your life. Such as when it becomes more important to get that smoke in then stay hanging out with friends.

Do you believe that this is too strict a definition or that it's too lose of one and should be stricter?

Here's some info on how Caffeine interacts with your brain so you can understand what's also going on.
Old November 24, 2014, 04:40:57 PM
Keldeo

Don't have much to add to this, unfortunately. Unless you count the Internet, I don't generally get hooked on things that tend to rewire your brain :|

Last edited by Dragonite; November 24, 2014 at 04:41:18 PM.
Old November 24, 2014, 06:40:33 PM
Administrator

If you physically get sick from not having something (not counting things like water and air since those are required for survival), then yes I'd consider that an addiction.

Last edited by Yoshi648; November 24, 2014 at 07:35:25 PM.
Old November 24, 2014, 07:40:07 PM
Linoone

It's hard to say. Your body may just react to it on a certain chemical level. I went a year and a half without drinking soda after being a frequent soda drinker. I never experienced any flu like symptoms, or any other illness signs. In fact, I had the opposite reaction. I felt better and healthier.
Old November 24, 2014, 07:46:30 PM
Keldeo

In my case I wasn't drinking soda because I had started to feel a cold onsetting and figured it wasn't going to help to load up on sugar and all when trying to fight it off. So I'm not sure if that played a part in magnifying the symptoms. Now a days I've gone a couple days without issue so not sure what that is all about but you could be correct it is just depends on person to person.
Old November 30, 2014, 10:52:32 PM
Regigigas

What brand are you drinking? I've not heard of caffeine in itself causing problems as severe as that. My bet is some other chemical in the drink or not the drink at all. Manufactured food has sooo much no no.

I know that soda, along with extremely greasy foods, cause more acid to build up in your stomach and the drinking of soda actually quenches that sickly feeling from your throat. Acid Reflux. D:

Edit: The title was kinda misleading with what was written at first, lol. Anyways, I forgot to add my 2 cents on the brain enjoying whatever it is you provide it. When it boils down, it'll always be about some sort of chemical reaction that goes on with your brain. It's the same as when you complete a game. BAM! Feel good chemicals are released (forgot what they're called)! However, I believe after time goes by and you feel like you can only feel better with whatever it is that excites your brain that you have an addiction. Example: Feel like crap so drink alcohol. GOOD FEELING! After a day or 2, I feel meh again and I need that FEEL GOOD. Solution per brain? Drink alcohol again! And so on until I end up having a bad liver or what have you.

Last edited by Sub-zero; November 30, 2014 at 11:02:52 PM.