Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 5, 2014, 04:43:03 PM
Regigigas

Default The Everlasting Change of Society.

I would like to create this thread to hear from each of you how society has changed and how this either affects you or others around you and steps any authority figure has tried to tackle these situations that strike a problem within the community.

Examples of topics that could be touched on are: School bullying, theft, piracy, violence within video games/music, music in general, misuse of words (fat, retarded, gay), fighting, clothes, jobs, race (stereotypes), etc. Just about anything can fit here, but I want you guys to think locally. As such, I would refrain from things that are internationally common and spark HUGE debates such as guns, legalization of ____, abortion, etc. I hope you get the idea, here.

I'll start off by discussing a troubling subject here in Texas: I actually didn't know this, but apparently, legislators here in Texas had agreed to cut funding for the Mental Health Department in order to work on fancier highways and such. This was back around 2000 or so, but this concerns me since Mental Health is definitely a key of the future.
However, this can even lead to the concern that the Mental Health Department also has its own corruption by treating a lot of its patients as complete psychos, possibly furthering they're label "lunatics who need to be in an institution."
Speaking of labels, do you guys use words like "fat", "gay" or "retarded" in a casual fashion? Have you considered how these words are blown out of context to be used as insults, or, in the case of "gay" to be used as a casual way of something that something isn't what you'd like and instead of using a word such as lame, you say "gay"? These words have been given a negative connotation, even though "fat" is actually a body nutrient that is vital and "gay" is a sexual orientation that is a completely normal sexual orientation that is looked down onto? Edit: And because these words have a negative connotation to them, they are often used in bullying.
Bullying...

You guys kinda catch my drift? Just present a problem in your community and explain. Most likely, everyone will agree as a problem is a problem.

Note for mods: I'm not sure of this would go under the debate thread since I'm not looking for debates, just stories and small discussion.

Last edited by Sub-zero; March 5, 2014 at 04:47:42 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 05:10:31 PM
Keldeo

Lot on your mind today, aye?

Going to get a few people mad by saying this, but wasn't Texas one of the ringleaders in the "cure mental people, don't ban guns" thing going around last year? And now you're telling me they're cutting back on curing mental people, too? Oh, Texas, you never fail to surprise me.

As the insult thing goes, my language is typically pretty clean (it's a weird story). At least where I am, "retarded" is a word that largely died out in middle school, though I sometimes hear people calling their homework "retarded," which hilarious in context. And funnily enough, I hear "gay" most often associated with Nintendo. I could go on at lengths about that, but I'll just quote what one of my friends so artfully said about it instead:

Quote:
Why do I hear people say things like "you still play Pokémon? GAY." If you think playing a video game can make someone homosexual, I want you to go to the fish market, buy the largest fish you can find, bring it to me and let you beat you with it. Because if you think a video game can make someone homosexual, you deserve to be beaten by a fish.

Last edited by Dragonite; March 5, 2014 at 05:11:21 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 06:58:46 PM
Rayquaza

Change doesn't happen in an instant, it has to happen gradually and that's only because many people are afraid of change and how it will effect there everyday lives when it's really just there insecurity.

Change isn't even relative, people keep saying racism is dead but a black kid gets shot and a white man gets off scotch free. Or how there's still discrimination of genders roles like how nearly all kids toys are gender neutral or how last year only two movies out of the top 100 grossing films of the year were directed by women.

We're certainly still fair away from a country were everyone is looked at as an equal but we're certainly closer then we were 50 years ago.

That is my idea of change in society.

Last edited by Magmaster12; March 5, 2014 at 06:59:35 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:15:49 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonite View Post
Lot on your mind today, aye?

Going to get a few people mad by saying this, but wasn't Texas one of the ringleaders in the "cure mental people, don't ban guns" thing going around last year? And now you're telling me they're cutting back on curing mental people, too? Oh, Texas, you never fail to surprise me.

As the insult thing goes, my language is typically pretty clean (it's a weird story). At least where I am, "retarded" is a word that largely died out in middle school, though I sometimes hear people calling their homework "retarded," which hilarious in context. And funnily enough, I hear "gay" most often associated with Nintendo. I could go on at lengths about that..
Kind of. I'd just like to spark conversation in something broad to get to know the people of VR a tad better. I'm taking for granted that most users here are mature and can handle a pretty drawn out talk.

To be honest, with the ridiculous way the State's governor (Personally, I'm glad Perry is resigning) tries to "justify women's rights. NO ABORTIONS", I wouldn't be surprised if they currently seem two-faced, although that cut back was from 2000. Our current therapists (and such) are having cut pays due to this. I guess Texas just doesn't see Mental Health working or something. I don't know if there's been talks of change.*

Isn't that annoying? The way the word is used to define something that it isn't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Change isn't even relative, people keep saying racism is dead but a black kid gets shot and a white man gets off scotch free. Or how there's still discrimination of genders roles like how nearly all kids toys are gender neutral or how last year only two movies out of the top 100 grossing films of the year were directed by women.

We're certainly still fair away from a country were everyone is looked at as an equal but we're certainly closer then we were 50 years ago.

That is my idea of change in society.
Racism is a biggie that will take much longer to tackle. I don't think we've advanced THAT much compared to 50 years ago besides allowing such individuals "have rights." I say this is hard to tackle because stereotypes associated with race are EVERYWHERE and, apparently, hilarious. I still have trouble understanding why "funny" jokes must pertain an association to race. Wouldn't you agree?

Another thing; The media. The media has hit hard how "immigrants from Mexico come are drug cartels that are corrupting our society." As a Hispanic citizen, I'm disappointed and offended how people perceive as a thief or drug user because of my skin color. For example: I get out of my car to enter a store, right? I walk towards the store and whenever I'm passing someone who is also leaving their car, they push that little lock button about 5 times or so, causing the car to "honk" multiple times. Umm, why? :/

Does anyone relate? Have any similar stories? Please share.

Last edited by Sub-zero; March 5, 2014 at 07:18:11 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:30:24 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub-zero View Post
Kind of. I'd just like to spark conversation in something broad to get to know the people of VR a tad better. I'm taking for granted that most users here are mature and can handle a pretty drawn out talk.
Believe it or not, I've been on a few different forums during my tenure on the Internet. You have your typical set of users who are probably about nine years old and don't know any better, your typical set of users who are probably twelve and know better but pretend not to, and your typical set of users who are probably about seventeen and exist to poke fun at the other two sets. However, either I haven't been paying any attention - at all - or VR doesn't have that problem. Most people I've seen here at least make an attempt to write more than "lol yah /10characters." It's actually possible to make a thread in the Debate section without having some kid come and derail it for silly reasons.

But, that's another matter.

Quote:
I walk towards the store and whenever I'm passing someone who is also leaving their car, they push that little lock button about 5 times or so, causing the car to "honk" multiple times. Umm, why? :/

Does anyone relate? Have any similar stories? Please share.
I have the opposite:

"You're part Asian! You should be good at this."

The somewhat sad thing is that a lot of my friends who would make those jokes in HS were half- or full Asian themselves. Didn't stop me being friends with them, but it's amazing how something that some people take high offense at has propagated through society.

Oh, speaking of which. Is there a locker room on Earth where I can change into my running shorts without having to hear young black men throwing the N-word at each other?

Last edited by Dragonite; March 5, 2014 at 07:30:43 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:40:19 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Believe it or not, I've been on a few different forums during my tenure on the Internet. You have your typical set of users who are probably about nine years old and don't know any better, your typical set of users who are probably twelve and know better but pretend not to, and your typical set of users who are probably about seventeen and exist to poke fun at the other two sets. However, either I haven't been paying any attention - at all - or VR doesn't have that problem. Most people I've seen here at least make an attempt to write more than "lol yah /10characters." It's actually possible to make a thread in the Debate section without having some kid come and derail it for silly reasons.
Lol, I know exactly what you mean. I've traveled around the net for a while and have seen stuff like that. In fact, I used to be a part of that older group that just trolled. Good times. Not so much proud of it, but it was fun while it lasted. Agreed about VR. I don't expect to be bashed on about, but I don't expect to run over users, either. Nice place.

Quote:
I have the opposite:

"You're part Asian! You should be good at this."

The somewhat sad thing is that a lot of my friends who would make those jokes in HS were half- or full Asian themselves. Didn't stop me being friends with them, but it's amazing how something that some people take high offense at has propagated through society.

Oh, speaking of which. Is there a locker room on Earth where I can change into my running shorts without having to hear young black men throwing the N-word at each other?
Gets old, doesn't it? Leaves you like "can't you at least come up with a new joke" type thought.

Ideally, the N-word is "ok" within their group. However, I do believe the context of the word has been blown out of proportion. I won't completely blame this on modern rap, but it does play a role since that music is on radio where most of our youth* with will have ears to.

Last edited by Sub-zero; March 5, 2014 at 07:51:24 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:55:21 PM
Keldeo

I'll step into another minefield: what do you all think about adblockers?

I won't go off as strongly as I did about piracy, but I think they can be almost as dangerous. I think a lot of people don't realize that probably most of the Internet is supported by ads. Google and all Google-related sites, certainly. File hosting sites that don't require subscriptions for basic membership, online news sites that offer free articles, etc. For better or for worse, anyone who gets more than about five video views a day on YouTube, in the past year or so. The numbers I've heard vary, but the most consistent ones seem to say that advertisers lose about half of their potential revenue due to people using adblockers.

However, I can see why people do it. Ads are annoying, sure. But they can be more than annoying. They can pop up when you mouse over something, causing you to visit a car dealership web site instead of what you actually wanted to click on. More recent ads can play video on the sidebar of a news, DeviantArt, etc. page . . . on peremant loop . . . with no Mute button and no way to make them stop. On more than one occasion, I've had ads crash my Flash plugin or my entire browser entirely.

And then we all know what this is like. For my less-than-technical literate sister, which is safer, to proceed as is or use a free ad blocker?

So, yeah. Comments on that?

Last edited by Dragonite; March 5, 2014 at 07:55:44 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:12:53 PM
Giratina

Ooh, what fun. Well let me start off by saying that I am a very controversial person, and I do it for fun. If something is widely accepted or shown to make people feel comfortable, I will instinctively go against it just to make people feel even more uncomfortable. They don't quite realize it, but it's entertainment for both me and them. For example, in my Pokémon Gold run everything has an anti-religious name. I won't say what they are, but people thought I was going insane, and so the experiment worked. I'm not here to please people or to be a good boy, I'm here to be free. For those that do choose my friends, pfft, they must as crazy as I am.

Now in this thread I can talk about many things in many posts, but I'll start with the misappropriation of words. I'll use those three; fat, gay, and retarded. Now, for the etymology:

Fat- "to cram, stuff"
Gay- "full of joy, merry; light-hearted, carefree"
Retarded- "delayed"

And their current modern uses:

Modern Fat- "obese, unusually wide or thick"
Modern Gay- either "homosexual" or "undesirable"
Modern Retarded- "limited in intellectual or emotional development"

Now I personally admit that I use extremely casual language to the point where it wouldn't be allowed on here or Facebook. I call people gay for a laugh and when someone does something extremely stupid I ask them if they're retarded. Of course I know they're not, but I do it specifically because I know they're not, and I know they'll laugh. I use comedy/entertainment as a greenlight for a lot of things that I'd normally mark off as not okay in any environment. Gay was used as an insult to homosexual people, and then they accepted it and started calling themselves gay? That's like how the black people here call themselves the n-word (I'm not allowed to say that, am I?) I hate it when people call me either because I still perceive gay as an insult (and gay isn't the same thing as being bisexual, I like to be specific); and because my skin isn't the color black, I think the accurate shade would be dark chestnut brown. For retarded, when I say it I literally just mean slow. A ritardando is a slow down in music, and ritard means slow in Italian, so I like to keep it constant. If someone has a mental disadvantage/handicap or someone is just plain stupid, then I separate the two with words like those.

When misappropriation is specifically used to hurt people, that's when it becomes far too drawn out. Bullying is usually done by people who are jealous of something, usually because they're less intelligent, so it would make sense that some sling words around improperly. I guess that's why "slang" is the perfect word for that. If anyone were to try attacking me with words I could sling their slang back at them and leave them speechless. Eh, I chalk it up to me not caring about feelings, but words never hurt me anyway.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:22:26 PM
Charizard

Personally, for me as a Christian, the whole societal change thing has really had an effect on me. When you think of things such as homosexuality, which I see as a sin, I see a lot of it being shown in the media and things of that nature. Now, I don't have anything against the person who chooses that kind of life, but I do not agree with it as I think it's wrong. As the old saying goes, "love the person; hate the sin." There are a lot of issues with society in its current form. I see a lot of things changing for the worse, but some change for the better. I hate how it seems that Christians are the only group of people that are okay to discriminate against. I believe that whether or not you agree with a person, you should still be nice to them and treat them with respect. Have I known or been friends with a person who is homosexual. Absolutely. Do I hate them for that reason? Absolutely not. In fact a lot of them are nice people. My hope is that society can advance to the point to where we can all get along. We don't necessarily have to agree with each other, but we can at least be nice to each other, whether we agree with them or not. One can only dream though. Sorry if I seemed to have focused on homosexuality alone, but that is just something I've noticed at my school and my community and in my country in general.

Last edited by BluFire1337; March 5, 2014 at 08:30:05 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:26:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I'll step into another minefield: what do you all think about adblockers?

I won't go off as strongly as I did about piracy, but I think they can be almost as dangerous. I think a lot of people don't realize that probably most of the Internet is supported by ads. Google and all Google-related sites, certainly. File hosting sites that don't require subscriptions for basic membership, online news sites that offer free articles, etc. For better or for worse, anyone who gets more than about five video views a day on YouTube, in the past year or so. The numbers I've heard vary, but the most consistent ones seem to say that advertisers lose about half of their potential revenue due to people using adblockers.

However, I can see why people do it. Ads are annoying, sure. But they can be more than annoying. They can pop up when you mouse over something, causing you to visit a car dealership web site instead of what you actually wanted to click on. More recent ads can play video on the sidebar of a news, DeviantArt, etc. page . . . on peremant loop . . . with no Mute button and no way to make them stop. On more than one occasion, I've had ads crash my Flash plugin or my entire browser entirely.

And then we all know what this is like. For my less-than-technical literate sister, which is safer, to proceed as is or use a free ad blocker?

So, yeah. Comments on that?
I strongly dislike video ads of any form. They simply exist to waste bandwidth (I own a metered hotspot) and take forever to load.

For a long time, I deleted any posts related to advertisement blocking and warned users who brought them up repeatedly here due to the significant revenue generated by the ads. Frankly, though, the revenue gotten so bad recently that I may actually remove the ads from my sites soon. (Don't worry, I'll let this conversation slide for the time being. )

I can vouch that I also really dislike misleading download buttons. I've already had to clean up several computers where users inadvertently clicked them instead of the miniscule real download button hidden in the center, surrounded by social network share icons and other useless miscellany.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:36:08 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFire1337 View Post
Personally, for me as a Christian, the whole societal change thing has really had an effect on me. When you think of things such as homosexuality, which is a sin, I see a lot of it being shown in the media and things of that nature . . . My hope is that society can advance to the point to where we can all get along. We don't necessarily have to agree with each other, but we can at least be nice to each other, whether we agree with them or not.
You, good sir, have reached a level of understanding greater than about 80% of the world population with that one paragraph.

However, I will take you up on the homosexuality part. I guess my opening argument will be, if it is a sin a d it is a lifestyle choice and people have, do and will continue for a very long time to face persecution about it, why does it exist?

Have thousands and thousands of perfectly rational people just wake up in the morning and say "I'm going to be different. I'm going to run against my natural, biological desires, my understanding of human nature and what I know to be fundamentally right. I'm going to live the rest of my life being extremely cautious about how much of my feelings I am going to divulge to other people. I am going to run the risk of bring ostracized by everyone I know for the rest of my life. And, if I live in certain countries, I am taking the very real risk of being publicly killed. I am doing this all because I want to commit a sin?"

Because if it is a sin, it has to be an active lifestyle choice and not an inherent trait, like albinism or green eyes. Does that make any sense at all?

Last edited by Dragonite; March 5, 2014 at 08:39:39 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:38:43 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFire1337 View Post
Personally, for me as a Christian, the whole societal change thing has really had an effect on me. When you think of things such as homosexuality, which I see as a sin, I see a lot of it being shown in the media and things of that nature. Now, I don't have anything against the person who chooses that kind of life, but I do not agree with it as I think it's wrong. As the old saying goes, "love the person; hate the sin." There are a lot of issues with society in its current form. I see a lot of things changing for the worse, but some change for the better. I hate how it seems that Christians are the only group of people that are okay to discriminate against. I believe that whether or not you agree with a person, you should still be nice to them and treat them with respect. Have I known or been friends with a person who is homosexual. Absolutely. Do I hate them for that reason? Absolutely not. In fact a lot of them are nice people. My hope is that society can advance to the point to where we can all get along. We don't necessarily have to agree with each other, but we can at least be nice to each other, whether we agree with them or not.
Now I've never read the Bible and have only seen like a page of the Quaran, but as a nonreligious person, I don't view anything as a sin. In that sense, human nature would all be sin, and we should all suffer for it. I believe in mutual respect, as long as I'm polite and gentlemanly to people then I shouldn't deserve any mistreatment. What some people do today, treating someone different when they come out, is stupid and shallow. I've seen many unfortunate cases where there have been two friends for life that immediately break away because one comes out as homosexual. What a drag.

Also, I don't quite like that phrase, "love the sinner, hate the sin." It sounds like you have respect for a person, but you go against what they believe in so you don't really respect them. If someone were to bring that up with me, I think I'd feel uncomfortable. It's half good, but outdated.]
Old March 5, 2014, 10:13:54 PM
Charizard

Quote:
However, I will take you up on the homosexuality part. I guess my opening argument will be, if it is a sin a d it is a lifestyle choice and people have, do and will continue for a very long time to face persecution about it, why does it exist?

Have thousands and thousands of perfectly rational people just wake up in the morning and say "I'm going to be different. I'm going to run against my natural, biological desires, my understanding of human nature and what I know to be fundamentally right. I'm going to live the rest of my life being extremely cautious about how much of my feelings I am going to divulge to other people. I am going to run the risk of bring ostracized by everyone I know for the rest of my life. And, if I live in certain countries, I am taking the very real risk of being publicly killed. I am doing this all because I want to commit a sin?"

Because if it is a sin, it has to be an active lifestyle choice and not an inherent trait, like albinism or green eyes. Does that make any sense at all?
Well, I don't think that anyone just wakes up and decides, "hey I want to sin today" unless they're trying to rebel against God or something. I do believe it is a choice though and not an inherent trait like you said albinism or green eyes.

Quote:
I've seen many unfortunate cases where there have been two friends for life that immediately break away because one comes out as homosexual. What a drag.

Also, I don't quite like that phrase, "love the sinner, hate the sin." It sounds like you have respect for a person, but you go against what they believe in so you don't really respect them. If someone were to bring that up with me, I think I'd feel uncomfortable. It's half good, but outdated.]
That is sad that someone would break away like that. Now about that phrase. Their way of life completely contradicts with my beliefs. Even so, I can still respect the person. I don't believe in putting people down or anything. As I said in my post, I'd love if, despite our differences, that people could one day get along whether or not we agree or not.
Old March 6, 2014, 03:23:01 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
[B][COLOR="Blue"]

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Racism is a biggie that will take much longer to tackle. I don't think we've advanced THAT much compared to 50 years ago besides allowing such individuals "have rights." I say this is hard to tackle because stereotypes associated with race are EVERYWHERE and, apparently, hilarious. I still have trouble understanding why "funny" jokes must pertain an association to race. Wouldn't you agree?

Another thing; The media. The media has hit hard how "immigrants from Mexico come are drug cartels that are corrupting our society." As a Hispanic citizen, I'm disappointed and offended how people perceive as a thief or drug user because of my skin color. For example: I get out of my car to enter a store, right? I walk towards the store and whenever I'm passing someone who is also leaving their car, they push that little lock button about 5 times or so, causing the car to "honk" multiple times. Umm, why? :/
Family Guy has pretty much turned into about 80% Italian jokes 10% Jewish jokes and 10% other ethnics jokes so I know what you mean. Seriously how are Italians still a thing?

In Connecticut it's getting to the point were everywhere there's an equal amount of diversity so there's probably less racism here.

Last edited by Magmaster12; March 6, 2014 at 03:30:48 AM.
Old March 6, 2014, 08:11:45 AM
Charizard

Talking

I like the idea of having a thread like this. It allows us to voice out opinions on different matters and tell how society has changed, etc. It's a great idea that could spark some insightful discussions. Hearing people's opinions and views on things is something I've always liked. Whether I agree or disagree with them, I've always found it very interesting to see the viewpoints of others.
Old March 11, 2014, 04:22:03 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
Now I personally admit that I use extremely casual language to the point where it wouldn't be allowed on here or Facebook. I call people gay for a laugh and when someone does something extremely stupid I ask them if they're retarded. Of course I know they're not, but I do it specifically because I know they're not, and I know they'll laugh. I use comedy/entertainment as a greenlight for a lot of things that I'd normally mark off as not okay in any environment. Gay was used as an insult to homosexual people, and then they accepted it and started calling themselves gay? That's like how the black people here call themselves the n-word (I'm not allowed to say that, am I?) I hate it when people call me either because I still perceive gay as an insult (and gay isn't the same thing as being bisexual, I like to be specific); and because my skin isn't the color black, I think the accurate shade would be dark chestnut brown. For retarded, when I say it I literally just mean slow. A ritardando is a slow down in music, and ritard means slow in Italian, so I like to keep it constant. If someone has a mental disadvantage/handicap or someone is just plain stupid, then I separate the two with words like those.

When misappropriation is specifically used to hurt people, that's when it becomes far too drawn out. Bullying is usually done by people who are jealous of something, usually because they're less intelligent, so it would make sense that some sling words around improperly. I guess that's why "slang" is the perfect word for that. If anyone were to try attacking me with words I could sling their slang back at them and leave them speechless. Eh, I chalk it up to me not caring about feelings, but words never hurt me anyway.
That is the problem, though. The context of the word to describe things it isn't. It has become accepted so casually as a comedic way of expressing a feeling that can be easily expressed or expressed better with a different word or phrase. I used to think like that until I began to realize how out of context I was and how society has flipped these words into our "casual" language (slang, I guess).

As a previous bully, I didn't have jealousy towards others. I bullied because it seemed fun and attracted attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Family Guy has pretty much turned into about 80% Italian jokes 10% Jewish jokes and 10% other ethnics jokes so I know what you mean. Seriously how are Italians still a thing?

In Connecticut it's getting to the point were everywhere there's an equal amount of diversity so there's probably less racism here.
Oh man. Family Guy is the worst. I remember watching it until it became too ridiculous to handle for me. It was witty or clever with the jokes. It was just plain offensive and pretty pathetic. Poor comedy.

I dunno... It's hard to stay we've come a long way when the majority of those who are elected to run our states and country are still white males. But has society generally accepted multiple cultures and races? I suppose so.

Sorry that I've been gone. My phone line went out and I just got it fixed. And I come to see the news that we're moving to a new server! Yay!
Old March 11, 2014, 04:32:12 PM
Keldeo

Quote:
Oh man. Family Guy is the worst. I remember watching it until it became too ridiculous to handle for me. It was witty or clever with the jokes. It was just plain offensive and pretty pathetic. Poor comedy.

I dunno... It's hard to stay we've come a long way when the majority of those who are elected to run our states and country are still white males. But has society generally accepted multiple cultures and races? I suppose so.
Eew, Family Guy was ever clever? :B

And to put it in perspective, it took most of human history to get rid of slavery. Then it took over a hundred years for America to smack down Jim Crow. Now only about 40-50 years later we have a black President. Wonder where we'll be in the next 50 years?
Old March 11, 2014, 04:38:57 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Eew, Family Guy was ever clever? :B

And to put it in perspective, it took most of human history to get rid of slavery. Then it took over a hundred years for America to smack down Jim Crow. Now only about 40-50 years later we have a black President. Wonder where we'll be in the next 50 years?
I think that ducks will evolve to the point that they will start protesting for their rights of life and animal safety.

In all seriousness, I *believe* that people will be more keen about race and culture.

Oh oh, did you guys know that in Texas, you could be arrested and put to jail for having an affair with a person with the same gender as yourself? I forget the case name and year, but it went to the Supreme Court and was ruled unconstitutional and stuff. Since most of our current laws come from morals and standards off the Bible, how do you guys believe laws may change in regards to human or animal rights? For example, how do you guys feel about getting pets micro-chipped, spaded, used for processed foods, etc.?

Edit: Obviously pets won't be used for processed food, lol. I was gearing to animal rights there, so no confusion!

Last edited by Sub-zero; March 11, 2014 at 04:40:07 PM.
Old March 11, 2014, 05:34:07 PM
Keldeo

I'll just feel creative so I'll just make a list.

1. I don't see the problem with micro chipping pets. You don't have to amputate anything to implant a chip, you don't have to pitch them into a fire, you don't have to put them in a basket on top of a moving car so I really don't see the problem. If my dog dug a hole under the fence and ran away it would be really lovely if we could use the micro chip to get her back. I'd also like to remind people that humans have the exact same thing, they're called "cell phones."

2. Spaying/neutering is more complicated. But then consider how many stray dogs and cats some places have and how many of them do not live very happy lives. This is a lesser of two evils.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYZgWYZlAZU *shot*

3. In most cases, if someone eats processed foods, that's their own bloody choices (or their moms'). Really not my problem when they start buying blood pressure pills and cholesterol tablets and whatever else you get from fake food these days.

My question: when will politicians learn that "separation of Church and state" is a thing?
Old March 17, 2014, 07:29:09 PM
Regigigas

1. Microchipping is just better for everyone, besides the price (actual money) that has to be payed to do it, which isn't THAT bad. Just annoying. It helps animal control due their jobs better, mainly.

2. I like to think that this is by choice and it is definitely up to the owner as not everyone can handle a litter of ____. This is also to prevent stray animals from creating "more stray animals", I guess.

3. Yeah... Meat is such a money maker that veganism is loooong ways from being recognized by the general public.

With the Church being as powerful as it is (face it, it's still powerful), it is waaay to easy to manipulate people with such an easy grounds like religion. That said, I don't think it'll ever go away.