Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat

Notices

Search this Thread
Old February 27, 2017, 04:23:15 AM
Kyurem

Default Job Hunting

Hello everyone. It's kind of lonely in here...

I'm feeling kind of nervous applying for more and more jobs... almost none of them are shortlisted in the past, so... I don't think anything will really happen, but I will keep trying. Something to show the world what I can do.
Old February 27, 2017, 06:27:39 PM
Administrator

The job-hunting process can sometimes be a torture, and you may feel like a failure at times if nobody is responding.
Old March 1, 2017, 05:31:49 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
The job-hunting process can sometimes be a torture, and you may feel like a failure at times if nobody is responding.
Indeed...

One of the job applications I've sent was rejected, citing that there has been even more better qualified people seeking the same position.

Still, it also told me to keep trying for other similar job positions on the same company, as it's also an extremely large one and there should be quite a few more possibilities.

In addition, I'll keep trying with other job-seeking sites and other methods... One day, I'll eventually get to what I want. I just hope that it's not all for nothing.

Maybe we could spin this off into a separate thread and maybe a bunch of tips with regard to how to find a job in the first place... that's what I'm having the most trouble with, as a complete lack of experience beyond time spent in uni is... well, yeah.
Old March 1, 2017, 03:21:25 PM
Administrator

A few tips for interviews that I have are:
  • If you have any experience outside of work that is relevant to the position to which you are applying (more than a customer-service job you took just to get money), feature it prominently on your résumé or CV.
  • Do not badmouth old managers at your interview, even if that's why you left the last job.
  • Ask questions at the end. Come in with a few questions about the company that aren't answered on the homepage or about page, things that wouldn't normally be discussed at the interview.
  • If you cannot do something and must state so, append, "...but I'm willing to learn."
  • Bring extra copies of your résumé, as well as your portfolio.
  • Do not bring up vacation, hours, or commute distance until offered the job. Also, be careful when discussing salary.
    • Exception: if you already have a job and the new job must be better or you won't take it, you can negotiate salaries, hours, locations, and vacation time.
  • Dress nice, wear deodorant, and brush your teeth. (Avoid strong colognes or perfumes.)
Old March 13, 2017, 05:46:21 PM
Kyurem

I suppose I probably would also need a bit of help with regard to looking out for these two, too...

Scams. I think nobody wants them... a waste of time at best, severe complications at worst...

Determining eligibility for foreign job opportunities. Some job posts don't make it clear, as I have found, and it took an email before being told that a particular post does not do visa sponsorships.

I'm trying to look for an entry-level programmer job, really, and I was wondering if there are any such takers. Honestly I think I'm so not trying for local "opportunitiea" in financial IT as that's way off what I wanted to do.

Last edited by Twiggy; March 13, 2017 at 05:48:51 PM.
Old March 14, 2017, 12:24:33 PM
Administrator

Visa sponsorships? Good luck with that, too. Many small companies aren't willing to hire those on an H-1B. Of course, if you're planning to emigrate, that's a little different.
Old March 15, 2017, 07:22:54 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat333Pokémon View Post
Visa sponsorships? Good luck with that, too. Many small companies aren't willing to hire those on an H-1B. Of course, if you're planning to emigrate, that's a little different.
Well, given what is going on in Malaysia lately, I feel like I should really emigrate for a better life.

Apparently having a job sponsorship makes H-1Bs easier to obtain, but it isn't strictly necessary. Still I'll try to find work first. I wouldn't want to end up wasting anyone's time.

I did get quite a lot of local job offers, but they seem extremely suspect. I have tried to obtain more details, but they're too quiet... oh well. Gotta keep trying, I guess...