Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old July 20, 2010, 08:52:15 AM
Administrator

Default Cars/Driving discussion

I'm surprised with all the people going for their driving permits/licenses and all the older members we have here, we have absolutely no discussion about one of the first major responsibilities you get in life: driving. So the point of this thread is to discuss anything related to cars/trucks/whatever and driving in and of itself. Feel free to discuss what you drive and any fails you have seen while out on the road.

As for me, I drive a beat up 1994 Moonbeam Chevy Astro EXT cargo van. It's got a 4.3L Vortec V6 engine with automatic transmission and has over 142,000 miles on it.

My father received it brand new back in 94 to be used as his work truck. Eventually when the company was going to replace the Astros with these large Dodge vans, my father bought his off from them to have for himself. He gutted the van of all the utility shelves and threw on these awesome mag rims (which are still on it, although a bit dirty) and put a 70's horizonal-diagonal stripe on it (which has since been removed).

However about 3 years ago (when I just got my permit) he got into a little accident with it. He was coming down this small hill which (at the time) had two lanes at the top, but merged into one lane before getting to the bottom and the guy in front of my father decided to play the ride-the-breaks-going-down game and my father rear-ended him. The guy he rear ended was in one of those trucks with the jacked up suspension so as a result the truck's rear bumper went through the van's front grill. He was able to fix it to the point where it could still be drivable.

Eventually when I got my license he allowed me to drive it, since otherwise it would just sit in front of the house doing nothing, and I have been driving it since. It does not have AC (but I did get a small fan which hangs on the passenger sun-visor), has a bunch of scratches/dents, the dashboard is all cracked from being out in the sun, and doesn't have a front grill. Despite its flaws, it still runs great after all the abuse it was put through. I'll try to get a picture of it up on here sometime.
*Also inb4 lol yoshi drives a beat up van i wonder if he gives out candy in it*

Other cars I sometimes drive are my mother's 2002 Dodge Neon and my father's 2006 Ford Tauros Taurus SE.

As for driving fails I have seen from other people, one of my favorites would have to be this: I picked up my sister from her bus stop. On the drive home I get behind this car that was doing 20 in a 35MPH speed zone so I went around to pass. I look and the driver of said car had her window down with her left leg resting on the door (and her foot blocking the left mirror). I lold.

Last edited by Yoshi648; August 14, 2010 at 08:24:28 AM.
Old July 20, 2010, 09:10:11 AM
Giratina

Ohoho. I just started driving school yesterday. But the driving school I'm in right now is an actual class, we don't drive yet. We have to do 16 2 hour classes which are on Mon-thurs from 2-4 PM and I already have 1 down. After these 16 classes we can take the actual driving class which consists of 7 2 hour sessions, in which 1 hour of that is you driving and another hour of it is observation of your instructor.

I am currently working on a 95 question packet that I will study tonight and tomorrow morning for 2 20 question tests, 1 on Road Signs and 1 on Road Rules. If I pass those I can actually go get my permit on Thursday because I need that so sign up for the actual driving class.

Yesterday was my first day so we were pretty much introduced to what we'd be doing, we also watched 2 videos on road signs and teen deaths caused by car accidents.

I think I covered it all.. Haha.
Old July 20, 2010, 09:24:59 AM
Rayquaza

I'll try to get my licence next month, the bad thing is that I'm going to have to pay for my own car while my sister got my moms.
Old July 25, 2010, 05:21:44 PM
Haxorus

Default I uh...

Run an '87 IROC-Z. o.o Stock 350 TPi, auto unfortunately, two hundred and four thousand miles on 'er.

She's a T-top, as well...

... Why am I so unenthusiastic about this thread...

I'mma go lie down.
Old July 29, 2010, 04:37:29 AM
Charizard

I am going for my learners in a few weeks
Old August 13, 2010, 11:20:17 PM
Joltik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam (Chomp) View Post
I am going for my learners in a few weeks

Oh,yeah, Me, too...
Old August 14, 2010, 12:18:53 AM
Volcarona

I'm looking for a car right now. Parents never bought me one, so I saved up.
Old August 14, 2010, 03:57:39 AM
Rayquaza

Next week I'm probably gonna get my learners permit, we were thinking about doing it on my birthday but I didn't want to spend my entire birthday at the DMV.

Last edited by Magmaster12; August 14, 2010 at 03:58:38 AM.
Old August 14, 2010, 07:29:33 PM
Volcarona

Found and bought a car. Like, just now. Got a good deal, it is a Honda Prelude, with 153000 miles on it, but in very nice condition.
Old August 14, 2010, 09:56:17 PM
Haxorus

Preludes are good cars. o3o What year/trim level?
Old August 17, 2010, 04:49:24 PM
Volcarona

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
Preludes are good cars. o3o What year/trim level?
Year is 91, I think its an SI on the trim level, I'd have to check.
Old October 18, 2010, 05:58:28 PM

I just got an '89 Firebird for my first car. It's in excellent shape, although my father and I had to replace the fuel pump. We got it for $800 and we've probably put about $200 more in it. It's a 5 speed stick, and I learned to drive an automatic, so I have to get the feel of the clutch down now.

The Car    
Old October 18, 2010, 07:59:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto616 View Post
I just got an '89 Firebird for my first car. It's in excellent shape, although my father and I had to replace the fuel pump. We got it for $800 and we've probably put about $200 more in it. It's a 5 speed stick, and I learned to drive an automatic, so I have to get the feel of the clutch down now.

The Car    
Nice set of wheels you got there Ditto (and good price to boot). Just try not to get to many speeding tickets .
Old November 23, 2010, 03:53:12 PM
Volcarona

I currently taking driver's ed in my school as a elective. I am pretty confident that I pass the permit test. I took 4 practice permit test and except for the first test, I got more than 80%.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:35:07 PM
Regigigas

I actually didn't get my permit yet, and I've been 16 for a month now. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a darn about learning to drive (for some reason). My dad said he wants to take me to the DMV on Saturday, though.
Old December 2, 2010, 05:41:32 PM
Celebi

I am getting a '07 Chevy Colorado for my first car. (Well its a truck) I have been driving cars at my parents salvage yard since I was 7 and I am a racecar driver so I know how to drive cars, but I don't have my licence yet but I will have it in under 2 years and I am so anxious to get it!
Old December 12, 2010, 08:29:27 PM
Haxorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by [TRDRS]PokeTrader View Post
I am getting a '07 Chevy Colorado for my first car. (Well its a truck) I have been driving cars at my parents salvage yard since I was 7 and I am a racecar driver so I know how to drive cars, but I don't have my licence yet but I will have it in under 2 years and I am so anxious to get it!
You have your R license. Congrats. I doubt you run full-fledged Track vehicles, but an R license is expensive.

And make sure what kind of Colorado you get is a proper Colorado. Not some V5 P.O.S. Also, l2tow.