Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 11, 2010, 01:50:48 PM
Giratina

Default Wi-Fi Problem

Well, first of all, I dunno is this is the right forum. O_o Move it if you feel compelled to do so.

Anyways, I recently figured out how to change my Wi-Fi security setting so that I could use Wi-Fi for Platinum and HG, but now, when I keep it on that security setting, it won't allow our laptop to pick up the signal or connect to the internet.

My DS won't let me do any Wi-Fi Pokemon stuff when the security setting is on WPA, but if I change it to WEP, which lets me use my Wi-Fi for Pokemon things, the internet on our laptop won't work.

Is there a security setting that allows me to use Wi-Fi on Platinum/HG without losing internet access on the laptop, or switching back and forth every time I want to use Wi-Fi on Platinum/HG?

Last edited by SK; March 27, 2010 at 05:51:14 PM.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:53:08 PM
Giratina

You've got two options:
1. Nintendo USB WiFi connector. They cost a fortune, but they work.
2. Get a DSi. They can handle WPA. Only in certain games though, so be warned.
Old March 27, 2010, 06:00:14 PM
Giratina

Mmkay, thanks.

I'll have to let my family know that they can't get on the internet when I'm battling you tomorrow, then.
Old April 6, 2010, 07:01:04 PM
Regigigas

You DO know that the sale of USB connectors in retail stores was discontinued, right? Better find a used one.
Old April 7, 2010, 03:24:47 AM
Kyurem

I'm guessing the problem is you haven't configured your computer right - what operating system do you have? If your computer can handle WPA, there is no way it can't handle WEP.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:12:24 PM
Giratina

Well, I guess the thing is that my laptop can't handle WEP but it works with WPA. The computer always works. I have an Acer laptop.. Dunno how to make it handle WEP, though.

Directions please! xD I honestly know very little on technology, but I probably know the most about it out of all of my family.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:14:24 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
I have an Acer laptop.. Dunno how to make it handle WEP, though.

Directions please! xD I honestly know very little on technology, but I probably know the most about it out of all of my family.
Operating system. NOT MANUFACTURER.

Eg. Windows Vista, xp, 7, mac, etc. Like that.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:18:48 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK View Post
Well, I guess the thing is that my laptop can't handle WEP but it works with WPA. The computer always works. I have an Acer laptop.. Dunno how to make it handle WEP, though.

Almost everything supports WEP. All operating systems, all wireless games consoles - There's no way your laptop won't work with WEP but will work with WPA.

Many people don't want to use WEP though, since it's much more unsecure.
Old April 7, 2010, 12:18:56 PM
Giratina

Uhh, I think it's XP or Vista..

Nin, I think what I'd do is switch it to WPA whenever I use Wi-Fi for Pokemon but go back to WPA when I'm done. The problem here is that my laptop doesn't work on WEP and my DS doesn't work on WPA, so I need a new DS or a way to make the laptop work with WEP.

Last edited by SK; April 7, 2010 at 12:20:50 PM.
Old May 20, 2010, 04:52:29 AM
Zoroark

Your computer won't "connect to the internet" when you're on WEP security because the "thing" you're connecting to that provides internet(I am guessing your wireless router) needs to have the same security setting. Set your router to WEP security. No, there is no way to make a security setting that will please both WPA and WEP, they are fundamentally different. Set all your wireless devices in the house(desktop, laptop, and most importantly router) to WEP.

Last edited by Searinox; May 20, 2010 at 04:55:37 AM.