Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old March 28, 2010, 02:50:26 PM
Charizard

Default Solid state drives

While they are still a relatively new and expensive technology, Solid state drives or SSDs for short are showing they are the future. While not all SSDs are created equal, Intel's drives are second to none in terms of the booting up of an OS or a specific application. The future only looks brighter as Hard Drives seem to be a thing of the past. SSDs use no moving parts and are based off of flash technology (not Adobe Flash).

More info later.
Old March 28, 2010, 03:16:56 PM
Giratina

Simple explanation: Think of a USB drive with hundreds of gigabytes.

I'm really hoping to see these in the market at a reasonable price soon. It'll take my 3 minute vista boot time and turn it into 1 minute... Only because vista sucks at booting. I suppose XP would boot in a matter of seconds.
Old March 29, 2010, 10:15:02 AM
Charizard

It could also be because of your RAM, no?

What are your specs, Jared?
Old March 29, 2010, 10:22:53 AM
Giratina

To be honest, I never heard of SSDs before.
*Goes to check Google*
Old March 29, 2010, 11:09:54 AM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
To be honest, I never heard of SSDs before.
*Goes to check Google*
They are a fairly new technology but they are far better than conventional hard drives in terms of speed and reliability (though not all of them).
Old March 29, 2010, 04:51:30 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
It could also be because of your RAM, no?

What are your specs, Jared?
Only 1 gb of ram.

Shadow: They've actually been around for about a year, just not popular yet.
Old March 29, 2010, 04:57:23 PM
Kyurem

In Ubuntu 10.04 you can boot to an SSD in under 10 seconds. Actually, on my HDD, its only about 8 seconds, so I'd imagine about a 5 second boost on equivalent hardware (that is, Intel Atom Processor, Acer Aspire One Netbook, 1GB RAM).

...Which makes sense, since Ubuntu only requires 386MB of RAM.
Old March 30, 2010, 05:28:50 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
In Ubuntu 10.04 you can boot to an SSD in under 10 seconds. Actually, on my HDD, its only about 8 seconds, so I'd imagine about a 5 second boost on equivalent hardware (that is, Intel Atom Processor, Acer Aspire One Netbook, 1GB RAM).

...Which makes sense, since Ubuntu only requires 386MB of RAM.
One of these days I will get used to Linux but since it cannot play PC games on its own, it is on the back burner.

I learned most of what I know on MacRumors where people show OS X booting up in 15 seconds including apps.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:31:56 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
One of these days I will get used to Linux but since it cannot play PC games on its own, it is on the back burner.

I learned most of what I know on MacRumors where people show OS X booting up in 15 seconds including apps.
Yeah, my netbook is currently dual-booted XP/Linux. But, thats easier to do on an HDD than on a much smaller SDD.
Old April 17, 2010, 08:18:19 PM
Mudkip

Night and day difference to the traditional hard drive, if compared one on one. (Ignore RAID setups.) The traditional drive, filled with moving platters, will always take time to spin around and find the data in question that it needs. SSD's, being flash, can find whatever they need, instantaneously. No wait, no delay, other then the usual bottlenecks. It's great! Just expensive as hell, and has a short lifespan.
Old July 4, 2010, 05:36:15 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareon View Post
Night and day difference to the traditional hard drive, if compared one on one. (Ignore RAID setups.) The traditional drive, filled with moving platters, will always take time to spin around and find the data in question that it needs. SSD's, being flash, can find whatever they need, instantaneously. No wait, no delay, other then the usual bottlenecks. It's great! Just expensive as hell, and has a short lifespan.
Short Life span? I though SSDs where supposed to be more reliable than HDDs?

I know that SSD's survive impacts better, but life span? How so?
Old July 4, 2010, 11:08:20 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buoysel View Post
Short Life span? I though SSDs where supposed to be more reliable than HDDs?

I know that SSD's survive impacts better, but life span? How so?
Flash media degrades over time, so they usually last a lot less than hard drives. But for most people the 3-5 years they do last is enough.
Old July 5, 2010, 07:37:16 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
Flash media degrades over time, so they usually last a lot less than hard drives. But for most people the 3-5 years they do last is enough.
3-5 years, thats loner than any regular HDD has lasted for me.

First Notebook was a Dell Insprion B130, HDD lasted 2 months, replaced again @ 8 months, replaced the computer @13 months. Current laptop is an Acer Aspire 5315, first HDD lasted 6 months, current HDD has lasted 1.2 years.

I'm looking for a better solution. I don't have good luck when it comes to computer hardware. Besides, in 3-5 years, a Computer is going to be so obsolete that it won't really matter.
Old July 9, 2010, 03:11:29 PM
Mudkip

You can pretty accurately predict the death of flash media, like an SSD. A HDD can go on for yeeeeeears under load without fault. There are plenty still chugging from the 1990's.
Old July 20, 2010, 04:52:33 PM
Charizard

Although I would make an argument that today's HDDs are not built like the ones from the 1990s. SSDs are a new technology and are vastly improving. That isn't to say that they are vastly better since you can get a 1 TB HDD at 7,200 RPM for a fraction of the cost of a 100 GB SSD.