Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > General Chat
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old December 31, 2010, 08:02:04 AM
Zoroark

Default Dear educators of the world,

Please keep giving me this much homework. I have no life and I'm searching to expand my knowledge in a creative way. Homework is a fun and easy tool for students to learn new things, and enjoy themselves at the same time. Why go out and have fun when you could be sitting at home doing math problems and writing lab reports? All children of the world, myself included, understand that there is no better way to teach people essential skills than to let them go home to lots of exciting distractions and then shoving them down to a desk, making them study for 6 hours straight and depriving them of sleep every night. My sincerest gratitude to every single one of you. Please never, EVER change this completely flawless system.

-Pokemoneinstein

So let's discuss the educational system. I, for one, am in favor of extending the school days by 2 hours and then giving us three day weekends every week. There are lots of changes I think should be implemented, but I'm supposed to be doing homework right now
Old December 31, 2010, 08:23:56 AM
Kyurem

I actually second that. The school day isn't really all that long, but I feel the weekend goes by waay to fast.

But of COURSE our school is "BROKE", and they refuse to do ANYTHING, besides cutting TEACHERS. And YET, we have SO many FREAKING nonessential programs. JEEZ, school district. >.<
Old December 31, 2010, 09:05:43 AM
Giratina

How about 13 hours of school for 3 days and a 4 day weekend? I really wouldn't be opposed to that. o3o Perhaps... 7 AM to 8 PM. 2 meals at school with a nice long study hall, only 3/7 days of the week, I could do that.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:10:39 AM
Regigigas

All I want is a French class*, but NOOOOO. All we get to choose from is Spanish and German! ;_;

*(Also more computer classes.)

I would like a three-day weekend. And SK, I don't know how the helsinki I can survive a thirteen-hour day. But maybe an extra hour or two would be OK.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:21:53 AM
Zoroark

Spanish and German? That's an odd selection...

A thirteen hour day would be a little much. I'd be fine with a 10 hour day, though. Another request to the educational system that I personally think is completely logical is no homework on the weekends. No required homework, at least. And none of that "we don't have class on Friday, so you can do it tonight" crap that teachers LOVE to use, but actually no required homework.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:24:00 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurusu Lapras View Post
All I want is a French class*, but NOOOOO. All we get to choose from is Spanish and German! ;_;

I would like a three-day weekend. And SK, I don't know how the helsinki I can survive a thirteen-hour day. But maybe an extra hour or two would be OK.
What is we actually like.. Went to school on, let's say, Monday morning. Then you have normal school with meals and it goes until the night. Then you.. Sleep at school.. And do it again the next day. On Wednesday you would get out at noon and go home until the next Monday. I think that would be pretty epic, only 2 and a half days of school per week. o3o You just gotta sleep over a couple of nights and the last day is really short.

Also.. Our language selection is Spanish, French, and Latin, I believe. I think we have another one but I'm not sure. I agree with more computer classes. xD

Last edited by SK; December 31, 2010 at 09:25:10 AM.
Old December 31, 2010, 09:40:31 AM
Kyurem

Quote:

I had a selection of Spanish, French, and Chinese. Since I technically get school credit for taking Japanese classes on Saturdays, I didn't need a foreign language class, but I'm backing my credit with two years of foreign language in case the colleges I apply for in the future don't accept the extra Japanese credit.
Old December 31, 2010, 10:39:46 AM
Giratina

When do you guys normally finish your school day? Mine starts from 7:45 AM and ends at 2:30 PM, so that's six hours and forty-five minutes in school. I wouldn't actually mind having an extra hour or two after that for the sake of a three-day weekend. After all, five working days in the week followed by a weekend of two days is just not enough.

Also, do you know what I'd really like them to do? To change the school rules so that we only get a maximum of two exams per day and not more than that. Seriously, cramming three exams on one day and expecting students to score exceptionally high grades just doesn't make sense. We're not robots, for God's sake!

You know, the student body needs more power to propose ideas/suggestions effectively to school, and in turn, the school management should be considerate enough to listen to what we have to say.

Last edited by Shadow; December 31, 2010 at 11:59:29 AM.
Old December 31, 2010, 11:00:56 AM
Rayquaza

I prefer to have the system just in the same way it is now. I find it perfectly fine. I find IGCSE interesting and actually exciting. I regret one thing which is I chose Business as a class. For the first time, I wish I actually chose Art since now I find myself in it. I realized that when you are in grade 8 and have to choose, you are still young and won't choose the subjects perfectly. That's a drawback for the system. I also wish that the IGCSE system in our school would have gotten more options. Nevertheless, I find everything quite good.

Last edited by The Spirit of Time; December 31, 2010 at 11:02:07 AM.
Old December 31, 2010, 12:53:20 PM
Zoroark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
When do you guys normally finish your school day? Mine starts from 7:45 AM and ends at 2:30 PM, so that's six hours and forty-five minutes in school. I wouldn't actually mind having an extra hour or two after that for the sake of a three-day weekend. After all, five working days in the week followed by a weekend of two days is just not enough.

Also, do you know what I'd really like them to do? To change the school rules so that we only get a maximum of two exams per day and not more than that. Seriously, cramming three exams on one day and expecting students to score exceptionally high grades just doesn't make sense. We're not robots, for God's sake!

You know, the student body needs more power to propose ideas/suggestions effectively to school, and in turn, the school management should be considerate enough to listen to what we have to say.
I agree with everything you just said. Though a suggestion that a school would never ever consider is this three-day weekend thing. The odd part? I can't think of a single argument against it. You'd get just as much (if not more) time in school and more time to relax. Win-win, what harm is there in that?
Old December 31, 2010, 01:43:37 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post

My school goes from 7:30 to 2:25.

I also do agree with having a limited amount of tests on a given day, it seems like all of my teachers try to cram one in right before we go on a break or something and then I have over 2 tests. It's just too much.

And I agree with the last paragraph 100%. Make us take a survey or something, we don't mind if it's for the good of our school...
Old January 1, 2011, 09:51:15 AM
Servine

I'm my opinion, school days are long enough, but adding one more hour might be okay. I tend to have to go after school to get help with my homework or to increase my grades, so having more hours in the school day makes it hard for people who need to come in after school to get help, especially with the very limited bus system; sometime you need more than one hour to finish all the help and yet the buses here only run until 18:00 [ 6 PM ] with High School ending at 14:50 [2:50] or 15:00 [3:00] and Middle School ending at 15:00 [3:00], which would mean adding one hour would limit time needed for help, and adding two would completely demolish even thinking of riding the bus or getting help after. But, the bus system might change if the school system is changed, both of which have high chances of happening. The homework is ridiculously long; teachers always tell you to sleep well [which is considered needed, with the average teenager needing eight to nine hours of sleep], but give you hours of homework. It is no wonder students come in to school extremely tired, they are all doing homework. Usually I myself am up until midnight, and have to get to school by seven, which is little time for sleep. I understand having to study, but doing homework until dawn isn't exactly gonna help anyone memorize anything. With students getting little sleep, what do you think happens in school? Kids fall asleep, little attention, etcetera, thus making it even harder to get your work done and creating a cycle where you end up having a lot of work that you have a hard time doing.

So yeah, there's my opinion. I see this all the time in my High School, and honestly, even the teachers are sick of students being so tired and inattentive because of having so much work. To me it is quite clear there is a need to cut back on the work, and work on studying the subject.

Last edited by PokeMaster; January 1, 2011 at 09:56:12 AM.
Old January 1, 2011, 10:13:24 AM
Zoroark

It's also been proven that studying something for a long time is less effective than studying it for maybe 45 minutes or so and then going to bed. There's another big problem right there.
Old January 1, 2011, 11:56:46 AM
Servine

Quote:
You should come to my school, where French is not an elective, but required to graduate -_-

Also, I'm in favor of less homework. Students are forced into doing work late into the night, which provides a less effective environment at schools due to students being tired, which leads to more homework, and so on and so on.
That's why I don't do much homework or study...
Old January 1, 2011, 04:08:44 PM
Servine

I wish I could go to Boarding School. I do fall asleep easily if I'm tired, but if I manage to stay up all night and get to school, I'll stay awake. I find that if I'm doing something, I won't fall asleep. But I digress, I wish I could go a school that offers Japanese or French. I would love to have a longer day, but again, that's just because I am able to stay awake as long as something's happening. I DO find homework helpful, but only in Algebra, because a lot of times, I don't know what's happening until the day right before a test, and it helps there. I'm one of those people that manage pretty much straight a's w/out studying, and somehow I got into gifted. (It's sad really, I used to joke with my friend who was already in gifted that I was the smartest kid outside of gifted, which wasn't true, but now I have a true nickname, I'm "The Stupidest Kid in Gifted", which doesn't have the same ring to it, but still...).
Old January 1, 2011, 04:54:39 PM
Regigigas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrassPokemonFTW View Post
I had a selection of Spanish, French, and Chinese. Since I technically get school credit for taking Japanese classes on Saturdays, I didn't need a foreign language class, but I'm backing my credit with two years of foreign language in case the colleges I apply for in the future don't accept the extra Japanese credit.
I wish I were in your school...

Seriously, school, why Spanish and German? And we have three spanish teachers and only one German teacher (and he's only been here for two years).

Get this: Last year, I signed up for German, and picked Spanish as an alternate in case the class was full. I got Spanish. Sometime at the end of the year, I had a meeting with my counselor, and she told me it was an accident that I was put into Spanish in the first place. Spanish was frigging OVERFLOWING WITH STUDENTS and German had almost nobody. Expletive. Now I'm about to start German I next semester, and my friends are all in German III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow
*Question about school day length*
Mine goes from 7:30 (including homeroom) to 2:45. That's... seven hours and fifteen minutes.

Last edited by Leaftail; January 1, 2011 at 06:23:34 PM. Reason: Dang. I've been away from school so long, I'm startin' to forget stuff.