Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > Technology
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

View Poll Results: What is your operating system of choice?
Linux (Distribution) 8 20.51%
BSD (FreeBSD, etc.) 0 0%
Other Unix (Minix, Haiku, etc.) 0 0%
Mac OS X 9 23.08%
Windows XP 8 20.51%
Windows Vista 5 12.82%
Windows 7 23 58.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old January 30, 2010, 08:28:15 AM
Kyurem

Default Operating System of Choice

What is your operating system of choice, and why do you like it? Anything you don't like, or anything you wish could be like another?
Old January 30, 2010, 08:42:48 AM
Rayquaza

What does this have to deal with pokemon?

I would have moved this thread but I can't.

Also I use Vista.

Last edited by Magmaster12; January 30, 2010 at 10:42:15 AM.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:48:42 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Nothing at all

AND PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS THREAD INTO A FLAME WAR!

And on that note, I've used Vista for nearly two years. I got Windows 7 a few months ago and it is eons better then Vista.

Last edited by Yoshi648; January 31, 2010 at 07:50:51 AM.
Old January 30, 2010, 08:52:02 AM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
Nothing at all
Thanks for moving it - it wasn't intentional; I had meant to place it in General Chat (I'd like to think I'm smart enough to know where to post a thread; not as sure now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi648 View Post
AND PLEASE DON'T TURN THIS THREAD INTO A FLAME WAR!
That happen a lot?

----

I guess to answer my own question, I use Linux largely because of the lack of viruses and lack of cost. It pales in comparison to Windows or Mac OS X stability-wise, but (specifically Ubuntu) does work quite well for most tasks.
Old January 30, 2010, 10:25:58 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
Everything once I make my pokemon-based OS.
Old January 30, 2010, 11:37:30 AM
Regigigas

I had Windows XP and was a bit hesitant about upgrading to Windows 7. Upon using it for awhile, though, I was blown away. 7 is easily my favorite OS that I have ever used.
Old January 30, 2010, 01:13:18 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLiquid View Post
I had Windows XP and was a bit hesitant about upgrading to Windows 7. Upon using it for awhile, though, I was blown away. 7 is easily my favorite OS that I have ever used.
Anything that seems particularly awesome? I'm sorta curious if I should rush in getting it.
Old January 30, 2010, 09:31:54 PM
Shaymin

Of CHOICE? As in what we'd like to use?

Mac. Now.

I'm growing tired of Windows XP.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:10:41 AM
Kyurem

For Christmas I got a Windows 7 Laptop, and it has been great so far. No crashes, bad internet connection, plus it just looks sleeker and more modern. Before that I used XP though, but it wasn't that great...
Old January 31, 2010, 08:16:26 AM
Giratina

First place: Windows 7
Second place: Windoes XP

I'm quite the Windows user, so that explains my choices.
Old January 31, 2010, 08:22:30 AM
Kyurem

Hey, wait a minute! Why isn't Windows '95 on this list?! >:(
Old January 31, 2010, 10:27:48 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alakazamaster View Post
Hey, wait a minute! Why isn't Windows '95 on this list?! >
It's too old. Even though it revolutionized the PC experience, it has been rendered obselete by todays operating systems.
Old February 4, 2010, 02:59:14 AM
Administrator

Windows 7 is easily top place for me. Then Vista; unlike most, I actually felt that Vista was a very nice operating system, just nagging a little too much.

Windows 95 is a classic, but like Jared said, it's too old and not really a good choice to use as your normal computer. I actually started to make an attempt to get a Windows 98 computer up and running as modern as possible. I didn't get that far because I had difficulty finding certain parts and drivers, so instead I put some low-RAM Linux distribution on it. I should format the machine and try again.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:59:30 AM
Giratina

After using Windows 7, here's my list

1. Win7
2. Vista
3. Linux (Any distro)
4. XP
5. Mac (Bet you didn't see that coming )
Old February 8, 2010, 09:21:51 AM
Mudkip

IMO Windows XP is much much easier to use compared to 7 and Vista, despite their advertising campaigns being all about how easy to use they are...

I acctually have a 7 PC. The old XP was packing in, so I guess we had no choice, really.
I dont dislike it that much, but I much prefer XP. Acctually, though, my favorite operating system in some ways is Windows 95... don't ask...
Old April 17, 2010, 08:29:27 PM
Mudkip

Windows 7.. though I'm sure I'd like Mac if I ever had to use it and be proficient at it.
Old April 17, 2010, 08:54:20 PM
Shaymin

Windows 7.
It's awesome...much better than XP or Vista...DEFINETLEY better than Vista.
Old April 19, 2010, 10:48:04 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flareon View Post
Windows 7.. though I'm sure I'd like Mac if I ever had to use it and be proficient at it.
Macs are good if you don't care if it treats you like a first-time computer user. Apple made it so that they are easy for everyone can use, so it's not really "fun" for advanced users.

Plus the one-button mouse is annoying to me...
Old May 20, 2010, 04:32:52 AM
Zoroark

I never had any of the mainstream complaints about Vista except the UAC, which is easily disabled. But once a new OS comes out I don't turn back. I turned 64bit over an year ago. I'm on Windows 7 now.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:19:36 AM
Giratina

I haven't had a chance to use Windows 7 yet, so right now my favourite is Vista. It's been flamed a load for it's buggy-ness, but when you get SP2 it's a fine OS. It's Windows, so my games work on it, and it's faster than XP. I'm thinking of upgrading to 7 soon, though...
Old May 29, 2010, 05:58:44 PM
Kyurem

My Mac with OS X has never crashed in its lifetime. And its lifetime goes back to 2009. The only annoying thing about it is that the fan goes up whenever you open up the Finder. But I'm kind of stuck between that and Windows XP. XP is so much simpler than 7 and OS X, and it's compatible with just about everything, since it's still widely used.

EDIT: Just after I typed that, I scrolled up and saw a Windows 7 ad. xD

Last edited by NismoZ; May 29, 2010 at 06:01:47 PM.
Old June 24, 2010, 12:06:44 PM
Joltik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sub View Post
IMO Windows XP is much much easier to use compared to 7 and Vista, despite their advertising campaigns being all about how easy to use they are...
I can't see where you get off with that. ._.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeWarp View Post
Anything that seems particularly awesome? I'm sorta curious if I should rush in getting it.
Yup.
A: Security is now for Vista+, XP is permanently 'mune to some viruses now, basically. (Yes, that's right, support will NOT be giving XP the latest and greatest security features anymore.)

B: Stability is greater

C: As long as you don't play the let's see how little we can pay game, speed should be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NismoZ View Post
XP is so much simpler than 7 and OS X, and it's compatible with just about everything, since it's still widely used.
I don't think simple is necessarily good. Also XP has major compatibility issues. It lacks recent DirectX support, lacks support for new powerful security features, lacks a decent 64-bit version, and comes with very little generic drivers. Among other things.

Last edited by Yellow; June 24, 2010 at 12:11:41 PM.
Old June 26, 2010, 05:54:05 PM
Zoroark

I don't have any experience with 7, but I use XP on my PC and my dad's laptop uses Vista. Both are pretty nice, I think Vista is a bit better really.
Old June 26, 2010, 07:25:11 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow View Post
I don't think simple is necessarily good. Also XP has major compatibility issues. It lacks recent DirectX support, lacks support for new powerful security features, lacks a decent 64-bit version, and comes with very little generic drivers. Among other things.
XP is nearly a decade old: Mr. T pity the foo' who uses it .

But, yeah, Microsoft itself is slowly dropping support for XP (...yet not fully until 2014), which shows in: Internet Explorer 9, Windows Live Wave 4, DirectX 10 AND 11, etc. 64-bit is also lacking (to say the least), and so on. Sadly, for many vendors unofficial driver support on Ubuntu is better than official support for both Vista/7 - its sad in many regards.
Old July 1, 2010, 11:27:32 AM
Haxorus

I have 7 currently, and it's great. I was a vista user before...It crashed too much :/
Old July 2, 2010, 04:48:26 AM
Giratina

I have only had Vista crash on me once in 3 years.
Old July 2, 2010, 01:45:08 PM
Floatzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredvcxz View Post
Macs are good if you don't care if it treats you like a first-time computer user. Apple made it so that they are easy for everyone can use, so it's not really "fun" for advanced users.

Plus the one-button mouse is annoying to me...
As a Mac user myself, I find flaws with your statement:
  • By no means is OS X meant for a first-time computer user. I've been using OS X for years now, and although they try to make it easier for a novice user to operate their computer (and as such, they make it more aesthetically pleasing), by no means are the more advanced functions "easy." To prove that, I raise you the Terminal. Or the Console. Network Utility. Or verbose/single-user boot mode. But especially the Terminal. That's where the fun occurs (I've screwed up and fixed my machine at least twice through the Terminal. It also has a game of Tetris!)
  • Any semi-knowledgeable Mac user knows that Mac trackpads can achieve double-click (either through the Control-click or by enabling something in System Preferences and then placing two fingers to the trackpad surface and performing a regular click), Apple mice can achieve double-clicks (by enabling a setting in the Mouse pane of Sys Pref and then clicking on the right side of the mouse where a traditional right-click button should be on a regular mouse), or that OS X does in fact support Windows mice with native two-button clicks.

*ahem* Getting back on point, I like using OS X as my primary OS, but I also use Windows 7 occasionally.
Old July 2, 2010, 02:33:33 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAppleFreak View Post

As a Mac user myself, I find flaws with your statement:
  • By no means is OS X meant for a first-time computer user. I've been using OS X for years now, and although they try to make it easier for a novice user to operate their computer (and as such, they make it more aesthetically pleasing), by no means are the more advanced functions "easy." To prove that, I raise you the Terminal. Or the Console. Network Utility. Or verbose/single-user boot mode. But especially the Terminal. That's where the fun occurs (I've screwed up and fixed my machine at least twice through the Terminal. It also has a game of Tetris!)
  • Any semi-knowledgeable Mac user knows that Mac trackpads can achieve double-click (either through the Control-click or by enabling something in System Preferences and then placing two fingers to the trackpad surface and performing a regular click), Apple mice can achieve double-clicks (by enabling a setting in the Mouse pane of Sys Pref and then clicking on the right side of the mouse where a traditional right-click button should be on a regular mouse), or that OS X does in fact support Windows mice with native two-button clicks.
http://www.victoryroad.net/showthrea...1416#post71416

I made a debate for Operating systems a while ago. We can continue there, if you'd like.
Old July 4, 2010, 05:53:24 PM
Zoroark

I am Currently Running Ubuntu 10.04. But I'm not happy.

Plymouth is nor working for me. 9.10 (ubuntu)takes a long time to boot on my Laptop, and Windows 7 seems... heavy on my laptop. Maybe I just want a new computer too bad. Anyways with that said. I have used just about every major OS out there. The only one I haven't had the chance to play with for extened periods of time at home is OSX. Wich I plan on getting some time soon as I plan on Getting a Macbook Pro I have played/ worked on OSX, and I liked it.

My list as follows (for now):

1. Ubuntu Linux. Mainly for the performance for price. Its free and works great... most of the time.

2. OSX Simple, easy to use, snappy.

3. Windows 7/Vista. While 7 is lightyears ahead of Vista, they are both a PITA. when I upgraded I had to deiced which version I wanted, I chose Home Premium x64. But it wasn't good enough. Some of the features I wanted turned out to only be available in 7 Business.
Old July 9, 2010, 05:20:47 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buoysel View Post
Some of the features I wanted turned out to only be available in 7 Business.
That's why you're supposed to do research...

Last edited by Jaredvcxz; July 9, 2010 at 05:25:21 AM.
Old July 9, 2010, 08:58:50 AM
Zoroark

Quote:
That's why you're supposed to do research...
At the time, I didn't know that I would be wanting to change the UI language.
Old July 14, 2010, 04:26:33 AM
Cyndaquil

I'm a very techy person. I know like, everything there is to know about computers, and I love them. That being said, I use OS X.

Yes, a Mac.

Now, I've read a little of what some of you said about Macs, and I'm actually sort of offended. Why are Mac users subject to abuse? Because of what virtual operating system we use? I love my Mac, and would never go back to Windows. (:

Last edited by Twister; July 14, 2010 at 04:26:48 AM.
Old July 18, 2010, 10:25:47 AM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twister View Post
I'm a very techy person. I know like, everything there is to know about computers, and I love them. That being said, I use OS X.
Those statements undo themselves ^_^
Old July 18, 2010, 11:03:19 AM
Landorus

I have windows 7 because that's all my daddy let me have.
Old July 18, 2010, 01:45:48 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idno58 View Post
I have windows 7 because that's all my daddy let me have.
You sound like you'd prefer a different OS.

TELL US :3
Old July 20, 2010, 03:42:17 AM
Haxorus

My wife's ASUS G72 runs 7... And I like it, despite my loyalty to Linux. If I build a secondary system to my own machine, I'll load it with 7 for compatibility. That aside, I still prefer my homebrew Linux.
Old July 22, 2010, 12:29:45 PM
Floatzel

*looks back in thread*

Well, times have changed a lot since I last posted here. I am no longer restricted only to using OS X for stuff. Ever since I realized that 7 is much better for gaming than OS X, I've been dual-booting with much more frequency into it. When I can get my hands on a copy of 7 64-bit and a new printer (old one isn't supported by Snow Leopard, which is why I'm still on Leopard, or 7 on a network... figures), I'm reformatting both of my computer hard drives and installing Snow Leopard and 7 64-bit with 40 GB allocated for each OS (40 GB is by the Leopard/7/everything-else-in-the-world bit count scheme, instead of the Snow Leopard scheme) and the rest of the space being allocated to a shared drive accessible to both operating systems to make dual-booting that much less of a pain in the ass.

Spoiler Alert:    
If you're wondering why I'm doing this, instead of splitting my HD down the middle and having two partitions instead of three, I don't like restarting my machine countless times just to do something trivial and then rebooting it to resume gaming or whatever it was that I was doing. The new scheme that I'm implementing has the OS X user folder as the central hub of everything; if I can do it, the Windows Document library will reroute to the OS X Documents folder, the Windows Downloads folder will reroute to the OS X download folder, etc. For the drag-and-drop variety of applications, there will be folders on the root of the shared partition for OS X and Windows respectively to conserve space for the applications that require that they be installed on the boot drive (MS Office in OS X, Steam in 7), but for the two previously mentioned applications and anything else that I might find on the Internet, there will be the preallocated space for those special apps. On the topic of apps, there will be a PC and Mac equivalent for whatever I might need (VMware Player for 7 and VMware Fusion for OS X, MS Office 2007 for 7 and MS Office 2008 for OS X, Photoshop 6 Elements on both [if I can find a better copy that's cheap, I'll use that], etc. so I can open whatever file type I need without bother.

...Yeah, I think things through like this a lot.

Last edited by TheAppleFreak; July 22, 2010 at 12:32:20 PM.
Old July 24, 2010, 07:56:56 AM
Charizard

Windows 7 Starter and switching to Mac OS X eventually probably before 10.7 is out.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:39:28 PM
Cyndaquil

Quote:
You sound like you'd prefer a different OS.

TELL US :3
Why should he tell us when you just cyber bullied me?

I probably know more about computers than you, Windows fanboy.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:43:31 PM
Administrator

Please, do not use this topic to argue about which operating system is the best or diss other users' preferred operating system. Its purpose is for stating which operating system you use and why; please keep it that way.
Old July 29, 2010, 06:45:45 PM
Shaymin

Quote:

1) He's not cyber-bullying. He's being sarcastic in an attempt to be funny. There's a big line between sarcasm and bullying and this doesn't cross it.
2) Don't say "He said I was a meanie!" then call him a meanie. That won't get you anywhere and infact lessens your point.

(Edit by FreezeWarp: FreezeWarp Seconds This)

Last edited by FreezeWarp; July 29, 2010 at 08:13:40 PM.
Old August 3, 2010, 02:38:49 PM
Giratina

Quote:
I'm going to a specialized school for this crap. I doubt you are.
Old August 3, 2010, 03:01:11 PM
Volcarona

I love how he assumed Jared was a 'Windows fanboy' for not liking Mac OS X. Oh, and the amount of votes for BSD and other Unix. :L
Ho-oh, and OS X can be run on machines that aren't Macs. It just takes a bit of effort and violates Apple's shrink wrap contract. Except in Germany, where shrink wrap contracts aren't valid. :D

Last edited by piexing; August 3, 2010 at 03:05:47 PM.
Old August 3, 2010, 06:08:22 PM
Haxorus

Quote:

Many of us are Tech-competent. Look at my name, for instance. I wouldn't use a name like this unless I could literally carry conversation with someone in binary. I don't put doubt past anyone unless given standing reason.

For instance, a woman at my mother's work was once quoted as stating that "lol" stands for "Laugh On-Line", and that the internet was slowing down due to "Her computer being full of internet", thus prompting her to call upon my mother and I to diagnose her issue. She was running a million programs at once, and opened each new internet window in a new window. As in, click link, bring up new internet browser window.

There are far and away too many Technology-inept people in the world. That's why geeks like us exist, to assess, diagnose, and solve issues that stupid people make on a daily basis. This goes for Mac, Windows, and Linux, as well as the lesser-known OS providers.

I'll admit, I know little about OSx and most Apple software, as I honestly couldn't give a damn. I point and lol at them for their "sleek and innovative" design and lack of useful software, peripherals, and gaming capability... They point and laugh at me for my unsupported software, a total bollox Customer Support system, patches few and far between, and general illegality concerning third-party software providers. We shake hands, and walk our separate ways.

We're here to discuss preferences, not bash the nearest Vista user.

Furthermore, I lol'd.

Last edited by .name//Technomancer; October 25, 2010 at 10:51:56 PM.
Old October 23, 2010, 11:37:18 AM
Linoone

Quote:
Originally Posted by .name//Technomancer View Post
Look at my name, for instance. I wouldn't use a name like this unless I could literally carry conversation with someone in binary.
That comment made my day.

The top operating systems in my opinion are as follows:

1st Place: Mac OSX 10.5/10.6
1 1/2 Place: Windows 7
2nd Place: XP
3rd Place: JoliCloud