Victory Road  

Go Back   Victory Road > General > The Media
FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Search this Thread
Old June 26, 2012, 07:32:05 PM
Rayquaza

Default Do more Youtube Stars deserve there own TV Shows?

This discussion has been brought up a lot in the chat room with the horrifying fact that youtube stars Fred and Annoying Orange now have there own TV Shows.

Is Hollywood going to far for turning this unknowns into even more widely hated stars or is it just proof that TV executives are just not thinking anymore?

I'd like to see your own thoughts.
Old June 26, 2012, 07:45:10 PM
Giratina

Kevjumba does commercials for Cartoon Network from time to time and er.. Ryan Higa was on "Supah Ninjas" on Nickelodeon I'm pretty sure. Yeah, a lot of youtube stars are getting their own show or are getting on TV
Old June 26, 2012, 07:52:04 PM
Administrator

At first I thought it was a joke, until I saw the attachment on the guide. I don't really have much of a comment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Annoying Orange TV.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	2701  
Old June 26, 2012, 07:54:30 PM
Giratina

Ughh they completely ruined Annoying Orange. I mean, it never was THAT good of a video series, but I at least got a few laughs here and there. They just ruined it with the new show. And Fred... I thought the youtube was bad. This is just.. Terrible! Ughh
Old June 26, 2012, 07:57:06 PM
Kyurem

Remind me never to watch TV again so that I never come across these shows.
Old June 26, 2012, 07:57:10 PM
Volcarona

(I apologize if this comment is a little harsh towards some viewers, but this is honestly what I believe. :\)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
This discussion has been brought up a lot in the chat room with the horrifying fact that youtube stars Fred and Annoying Orange now have there own TV Shows.
Sorry Magmaster12, but I think you're wrong there. These people were never stars. They're watered down, comedic rejects vomited from the glute of entertainment. Soon YouTubers like Smosh and Ray William Johnson are gonna invade the mutilated, war-torn remains of television and lower the standards of television shows, too. They shouldn't be on TV; most of the YouTube stars' sense of humour is an outright miss, and some of them don't put any work into their videos. The latter tells me that they aren't really that creative, meaning that they probably wouldn't last two seasons. Soon, these people are going to bite the dust, and then TV is going to look to YouTube AGAIN for more people who don't (or barely) have talent. I sense this is a vicious cycle that must be halted immediately before it's too late.

I think the executives have lost it. They're out of ideas. First children's programming gets the bloody freakin' axe, then the rest of television goes down with it. YIPPIE-KI-YAY.

Last edited by GalliumGrant; June 26, 2012 at 08:01:22 PM. Reason: Look at Phantom below. You'll know why. ;P
Old June 26, 2012, 07:59:19 PM
Giratina

Errr... that awkward moment when its actually "Ray William Johnson" not William Ray Johnson"... Jus' sayin'.
Old June 26, 2012, 08:38:52 PM
Giratina

I hate the Annoying Orange. He's too annoying, and not in a funny way.
Fred was okay to me, but the movie was too dumb for me, and he actually has a SHOW?
Why can't the better YouTubers get shows? Why low quality humor-fails like them get shows if beyond me.
But it doesn't really matter to me. The only TV I watch nowadays is the Legend of Korra, but that I can catch on Nick's website.
Old June 26, 2012, 09:02:16 PM
Shaymin

To be blatantly honest, I don't think these other YouTube "Stars" should get a TV show... Let alone movies.
The whole concept of internet stardom just kinda eludes me. It makes it seem like the only thing you need to do to be popular is use effects or some editing almost anyone can achieve.

I guess I shouldn't really complain, being I haven't even seen most of these "Stars". But from the ones I have seen, I can say they really don't need/deserve their own show... Makes me wonder sometimes how milked some of these things get now a days...

Last edited by Fubab_107; June 26, 2012 at 09:02:36 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 04:41:37 AM
Rayquaza

The audience of TV shows are too different from those of Youtube. Even if a person is successful on Youtube, he would suffer on TV, since the expectations from him are greater.
Old June 27, 2012, 05:32:06 AM
Giratina

I'm almost certain the only reason why these YT stars have gotten their own TV shows is because those who make the shows on Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network see these stars acting in a silly manner that looks like it appeals to people with short attention spans and lack of a fully developed brain, most of the time those people are small children. The producers believe such shows will entertain children, but it's on the same level of entertainment as jangling keys in front of a baby - it's only meant for one group of people and it only keeps them occupied for a very short time.

If producers were smarter, they would try to balance out kid shows with shows that could appeal to older and more mature audiences. I know Cartoon Network tried this with Regular Show, but wasn't very successful from what I've heard.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:03:19 AM
Landorus

I believe that they simply are just trying to get them TV shows because they are very well known on the internet. With them being well known, TV show makers don't think that they will do much harm in making a TV show, when really they just end up ruining the entire show.
But kids will watch ANYTHING these days, no matter how stupid it is >.>
Old June 27, 2012, 07:11:21 AM
Shaymin

I think Gallium is wrong. here actually are people on YouTube that are REALLY funny! Or have really awesome point of views. I think that there are some people on YouTube that should be better appreciated. There own show may be going a little too far. FR3D didn't deserve one. He was funny and his career at being "Funny" Is now in the deep. Jenna Marbles is really funny, but bad language downs her. I just said that to show that some people that YOU may think should get a show, might not be liked by others. So like when I said that thing about FR3D I bet there where people disagreeing.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:58:54 AM
Volcarona

I can't blame you for saying that, teamplasma. I actually feel that Ryan Higa, Ray William Johnson and Kevjumba can be pretty funny sometimes. It's just some of the other YouTubers such as Fred and Annoying Orange could potentially be threats to TV. I apologize if I seemed a little closed minded, it's just that I don't usually watch what's popular. Sometimes it's never really appealed to me. :\

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 26, 2013 at 10:23:03 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:10:45 AM
Shaymin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalliumGrant View Post
I can't blame you for saying that, teamplasma. I actually feel that Ryan Higa, Ray William Johnson and Kevjumba can be pretty funny sometimes. It's just some of the other YouTubers such as Fred and Annoying Orange could potentially be threats to TV. I apologize if I seemed a little closed minded, it's just that I don't usually watch what's popular. Sometimes it's never really appealed to me. :\
FR3D and Annoying Orange both should have shows in my opinion. It will probably make Nick loose money, because there where more popular shows that are now gone, but these new shows are taking. So it is a risk for the network and the YouTubers. It is a bigger risk for the YouTubers because the network has almost all control after they agree to work with them. So it will almost definitely affect the YouTubers (that are now tv people) channels and careers. The careers can be hurt because shows can be cancels after a few episodes, but a channel on Youtube could go one and make money off adds and merchandise. Signing on to the network gives control to the network for the merchandising and such. So it would be dangerous to do that.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 26, 2013 at 10:23:21 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:41:28 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalliumGrant View Post
No matter who the person is, he can't be a threat to TV. TV channels are watched in a very large scale, and when you compare the Youtube's audience to TV's, it is relatively small.

This means that a single Youtube star wouldn't be able to affect or harm a TV channel, but quite the contrary actually; if the new show gains negative comeback from the viewers, then the show would be immediately cancelled and this star's career on TV would stop and it could affect his actions on Youtube as well.

Of course, there are also the legal restrictions he is bounded with, which could decrease his freedom over his show and Youtube channel as well.

So in the end, it is a great risk to the star, rather than the TV network.

Last edited by Cat333Pokémon; July 26, 2013 at 10:23:43 PM.
Old June 27, 2012, 12:22:19 PM
Charizard

I don't think anything on YouTube is really TV material. Most of the content on YT is just short little videos for your entertainment. How do you successfully take a 5-minute video series and turn it into a season of 30-minute episodes? I don't think it should work that way. It doesn't sit well with me.

Would you want to watch a 30-minute episode of Smosh? Two guys flashing back and forth to each other making faces and noises and saying "lol random" things? Of course not.

Would you want to sit through Ray William Johnson's 12-year old toilet humor for 30 minutes? Nah.

Now, no offense to RWJ or Smosh fans, but those were the first two examples that came to my head. (And I'll even go as far to say they have made me laugh before; I'm no hater.)
Old June 27, 2012, 12:34:00 PM
Giratina

I don't think that they're killing the TV or the channels, it's just that those stupid shows they get are taking up space for a GOOD idea they could probably come up with, making less interesting things to watch more of the time.
Old June 27, 2012, 12:45:58 PM
Giratina

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtwigX View Post
I don't think that they're killing the TV or the channels, it's just that those stupid shows they get are taking up space for a GOOD idea they could probably come up with, making less interesting things to watch more of the time.
When you think about it, most of the shows you considered "good" as a kid is just nostalgia talking. If you had never seen those shows before and watched them now, you probably wouldn't like them as much, if it all. I can't think of any old show that I can consider good, where I considered half the shows on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon good when I was a child. The shows haven't really changed much over time. The people watching the shows have, though.
Old June 27, 2012, 01:08:11 PM
Giratina

I'm not influenced by nostalgia. This isn't Pokémon Mystery Dungeon we're talking about.
I know in my heart that Chalkzone and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends is something that I love deep down inside, and even if I hadn't seen an episode until today, I'd still love it.
It's not that I think new shows are bad. I just know the Annoying Orange on YouTube, and I hate it. And TV USUALLY makes things worse. I sorta like Fred on YouTube, but his movie was kind of... sub-par to me. It didn't have the stupid-yet-funny charm of the original videos. And all the CHARACTERS. I know you can't have an hour long movie with just 1 person in it, but I always thought everyone having the same voice and no actual body was funnier.
Old June 27, 2012, 01:32:35 PM
Kyurem

FPSrussia and EpicMealTime. These 2 definately need their own shows.
Old June 27, 2012, 11:24:21 PM
Charizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirtle102 View Post
FPSrussia and EpicMealTime. These 2 definately need their own shows.
Though it contradicts my post from above, I have to save, FPSRussia, if he went more in-depth on the weapons systems, weapon parameters, etc...he could have a pretty watchable TV show on...maybe the Military Channel? Most of their stuff is decades-old WWII documentaries I've seen hundreds of times each.
Old June 28, 2012, 01:40:03 PM
Pikachu

While I can see the appeal of their short Youtube videos, I'm not sure how well Fred or the Annoying Orange would translate to full-length television shows or films. I know I can't stand to watch either of them for more than ten minutes, anyway. As for other Youtubers, I can't really think of any that might be good on television. Ashens, maybe?

Last edited by Pachireecko; June 28, 2012 at 01:41:06 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:44:57 PM
Giratina

Okay, so I just saw annoying orange. REALLY?! SUCH A BAD SHOW. A vegetable zombie apocalypse type of thing? I find it kinda corny but ughh whatever..
Old June 28, 2012, 05:14:18 PM
Kyurem

Thank goodness we don't have those shows up here in Canada.
Old June 29, 2012, 05:06:43 AM
Rayquaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirtle102 View Post
Thank goodness we don't have those shows up here in Canada.
Yeah but you guys are usually the first to get our American shows internationally.

That and I heard they're trying to bring Cartoon Network to Canada so, yeah.

You make us suffer by giving us Justin Beiber we make you suffer.
Old June 29, 2012, 12:25:43 PM
Kyurem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
You make us suffer by giving us Justin Beiber we make you suffer.
Fair enough. Fair enough.